Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New baby!

Caleb was born this morning.


Photos there.

7lbs. 13oz., 21" long, born at 6:53am.

I woke up at about midnight with a couple of contractions, but thought it was another false alarm like the one that landed us in the hospital for 2.5 hours last Thursday night, so I drank some water and took a warm bath and the contractions stopped hurting (they might have stopped entirely, I wasn't paying attention) and I went back to sleep.

4am I woke up with fairly severe pain. I tried to go back to sleep. I used the restroom a bunch of times to see if that would help. I waited until I was sure I could tell the nurse when we got to the hospital that my contractions were 5 minutes apart (I hadn't been able to tell them last Thursday exactly how far apart they were). By the time I was sure that this was, in fact, not a false alarm, they were 4 minutes apart. I woke up Mike, had him call his parents to come over to take care of Aiden, and we got the last few things thrown into the car. And they were 3 minutes apart, so we went ahead and left for the hospital (Mike's parents got to our house about 5 minutes after we left, so no worries really about Aiden being alone, especially since it was 5:30 in the morning and he was sound asleep). We got to the hospital at about 5:45-ish, and holy cow, the contractions hurt a lot. By the time they got me checked at Triage, she said I was dilated to an 8 or 9 and 100% effaced, and whoosh into the delivery room we went, and they paged my doctor, who was not on call, so they paged her partner who was on call, and apparently my water had broken at some point without me noticing (I'm thinking probably in the tub at midnight), and they only had time to get one dose of antibiotics into me via the IV for the GBS. And out of nowhere the contractions went from lots of moaning and ouches to yelling and grunting and during one of them, it was very suddenly and obviously time to push, which I tried to communicate to the two triage nurses who were still attending me, while they were trying to make me remember to not hyperventilate. Finally they just grabbed the nearest doctor that was at the hospital to come catch the baby, and after maybe 10 pushes total (I don't really remember) he was out! I think my doctor's partner walked in right afterward, he finished up with the afterbirth and everything. A couple tiny superficial tears, no stitches needed.

Anyway, there was no time for any painkillers, which was NOT what I was planning on. The pain and sensations were fairly different than I was expecting. And I was not expecting before I went to bed last night that I'd have a baby before breakfast this morning. But I do, and he's a cutie-pie, and I think we're all doing pretty great at the moment, though we have to stay in the hospital for 2 days to make sure he didn't get the GBS (which they had to do some blood draws on him to test for this morning, which he did not like in the least). And since Aiden still has pneumonia, that means I don't get to see him and he doesn't get to see me or Caleb either until Thursday, which is not a very happy prospect for me, but I'm sure we'll manage just fine. Though I have to keep them apart for awhile even after we go home, until Aiden is better. But my mom will be here tomorrow, and Mike is taking a week off work, so he will have lots of love and snuggles.

And that's that. Happy Birth-Day, little guy. We love you.


K La said...

Congratulations! You are amazing, good job!

Th. said...


Congrats! Nice and clean! Well done!

Holly said...

Congratulations! If given a choice, would you give birth like that again? I am an epidural girl myself, but I always wonder...