Thursday, December 31, 2009

Toodaloo, 2009.

I have happily returned to eating spicy food. Surprisingly, I have not experienced any heartburn since I resumed eating it (which is, frankly, amazing after seemingly having it for a solid 3 months). I am trying, simultaneously, to remember to stay well-hydrated. It is difficult. Drinking lots of water throughout the day requires frequently getting up to refill my water cup or bottle, and getting up is difficult, therefore staying hydrated is difficult.

Every day now I am more pregnant than I have ever been before. Since I was induced with Aiden at 37 weeks, and I am now past 37 weeks pregnant with this child, I am learning just now what the end of your standard pregnancy is like. Unsurprisingly, it is fraught with discomforts. But there's some bright points as well, like my wonderful husband who has taken over the cooking almost entirely, and who has been doing the dishes, and the laundry, and changing the sheets on our bed, and doing pretty much everything. I am sure he is looking forward to after this kiddo is born, when I ought to be able to resume my normal household responsibilities.

He had yesterday off of work, so we finally got the infant carseat installed again in the car (and cleaned the whole car while we were at it, ridding it of approximately a pound of crackers and countless empty water bottles). We also got the play-yard set up with its bassinet attachment so that the baby will have somewhere to sleep. I need to clean up my craft table area in our room so that it will be neat and clean and baby won't be able to inadvertently grab anything off of it, since the bassinet is wedged between the table and our bed. I also need to pack a hospital bag, and we need to clean out the "storage" bedroom a bit so that my mom will have a place to sleep when she comes. After that, we will be all ready. I'm feeling much calmer and readier today, just having the carseat and bassinet ready. A bout of false labor a couple nights ago (in the middle of the night, of course, right after having watched "The Business of Being Born" which may have triggered it for all I know) had me all in a panic because it didn't feel like anything was ready yet. But now the most important things are done, so I am resting easy.

Christmas was fabulous. We got lovely, generous gifts from our families, which we have all been thoroughly enjoying. The weather was really nice, also, so Aiden got to go in the spa at his grandparents' house for a couple of hours, which he was ecstatic about. For New Years' Eve tonight, I think Mike is going to go deliver my belated neighbor treats for me that I made last night, and then perhaps we will watch a movie and go to bed early. It sounds like the perfect way to celebrate the end of the year to me. Mike is also going to cook us a tasty delicious dinner, which I am quite excited about. And we are going to have shrimp, which honestly I don't think I have ever purchased before (I know, we've been married almost four years, and I've never bought shrimp? It is a travesty).

Aiden got a little doll for Christmas, to help him get ready for the new baby. He likes to feed it from a toy bottle. He figured out that the bassinet in our room was a bed, and as soon as I told him it was a bed for the baby today, he ran into his room and got his doll and brought it back and threw it into the bassinet, saying, "Night-night! Night-night!" Thoroughly adorable. He still is spending most of the day every day pretending to cook. I think he's finally grasped the concept of giving kisses as well, which I adore.

I hope you all have a lovely, safe New Year's Eve tonight, and that the upcoming year is one of peace and joy.

No comments: