Monday, December 07, 2009

This is my December

Thanksgiving was lovely. The turkey turned out pretty well. We did a rosemary, salt, pepper, and butter rub both under and over the skin, and made a standard bread stuffing to go inside, and made gravy from the drippings after the turkey was cooked. It ended up being done cooking early, it was nice and moist and flavorful, the skin wasn't quite as crispy as I think I would have liked and the salt wasn't perfectly distributed resulting in pockets of salty turkey and pockets of blander turkey, but overall we liked it.

The rest of that weekend wasn't as hot. We ended up in the hospital on Saturday night and again on Sunday afternoon because I was having regular contractions. They gave me terbutaline on Saturday which made me horribly shaky, and on Sunday I got an IV in case it was dehydration, but got to avoid getting another shot of terbutaline because the contractions stopped pretty much right after we got into triage. Long story short, there's absolutely no sign of the baby coming early, and the contractions were probably due to "gastrointestinal distress" combined with dehydration. I had a buffalo chicken salad with blue cheese dressing for dinner on Saturday night, which was pretty spicy, and had a fried onion rings appetizer as well, and was feeling pretty sick to my stomach several hours later, and ended up throwing up in the middle of the night (several hours after we got home from the hospital). So, the end result is, I am supposed to avoid spicy and fried foods for the next month, and am supposed to make sure I stay well-hydrated, and am supposed to generally take it easy. The doctor said, "No hikes, no long Christmas shopping excursions in large crowds" both of which I thought were pretty funny. There's 0% chance of me wanting to go on a hike in the next month. And I don't like really long Christmas shopping excursions either.

Oh yeah, add an icky cold on top of all of that, too. And waking up between 3:30 and 4:30 every single morning for over a week now and being unable most mornings to fall back asleep for at least 2 hours if at all. I'm feeling pretty wiped out at this point.

The few Christmas presents I am making are coming along well, though more slowly than I would like. Our tree is up, though not decorated yet since it will be making an appearance at the ward Christmas party on Friday so there's no point putting any ornaments on it now since they'd just have to come off again before then and then go back on again after. Aiden really likes looking at the lights on the tree, and the colored lights and tiny ornaments on my old dollar-store mini-tree that I've had since I was a freshman in college.

I had an ultrasound this past week, which was kind of fun (though long, again). Absolutely no signs of kidney reflux or excess amniotic fluid, which is great. Little baby Caleb boy is looking quite cute in there. When we were at the hospital for the conractions, the nurses both nights seemed a little surprised by just how active he was, rolling and kicking vigorously, which made their attempts at fetal monitoring a little difficult. He's got his head downwards like a good boy already, but I don't know if he's dropped yet (I kind of think not right now). So, things are good. I am getting tired of being pregnant, and six more weeks seems like an interminably long time to have left, but I am glad that he is not likely to come before Christmas at the least, and figure I shouldn't start feeling really impatient about it until after New Years at the earliest.

I have put together a long to-do list of things I would like to accomplish before the baby gets here. They're all things that ought to be done regardless, but some of them might not end up happening in the next month's time. Very few of them will end up happening, I suspect, unless Mike helps me a lot. I've discovered cleaning is really quite difficult when you can hardly bend over at all. And weeding and most other yardwork is practically impossible (and ill-advised considering my doctor's advice to take it easy). So we'll see what gets done, since I can't do most of it myself and he is busy with work and other obligations a lot of the time.

Aiden is getting very big. He has finally grown out of most of his 18-month clothes and is wearing the ~4 different 24-month outfits I have for him currently every day. He feels a lot heavier to me, too. Who knows, perhaps he is approaching the 30lb. mark. He's definitely quite adamant most of the time about what he wants (generally one of the following things: going outside, seeing grandma and grandpa, playing with his pots, marshmallows, cookies, crackers, milk, water, string cheese). He's doing pretty well at learning to say "please" although he is not doing so well at not throwing tantrums which involve him collapsing on the floor in a pitifully crying heap when he doesn't get what he wants. He is also not doing so well at not throwing his food when he's done eating, and at not kicking mommy during diaper changes. I rather suspect these are very typical toddler behaviors though, so while I do try to help him learn to be nice, I am not feeling like a failure when he is not. Though sometimes I do end up having little tantrums and meltdowns of my own.

It's been cold here lately, finally. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't, depending on whether or not I'm feeling overly warm or overly cold. The high today is supposed to be 56 and it is likely going to rain. It still doesn't feel very Christmasy to me without any snow, that is one aspect of Arizona that I am not used to still, though I do appreciate it. I don't even want to think about how many times I would end up falling down right now if there were snow and ice on the ground. I am not a very stable or well-balanced pregnant lady. The cool weather and rain should be nice, though it makes going outside to let Aiden run around a bit more complicated.

Overall life is still pretty good, despite all my end-of-pregnancy and mother-to-a-toddler complaints. We're getting by alright, and are all usually pretty happy, and there's not really much more I can want than that. Except for sweets. And those, those I can make any time. :)

1 comment:

Th. said...

.

Caleb's a good name. Good luck moving forward.