Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I had forgotten

I had forgotten what it's like for me, being pregnant. Of course, this time, all the symptoms seem to be coming on a little quicker, a little sooner, than they did last time, and possibly a little worse, too. Or maybe it just seems that way because I'm trying to take care of a very clever toddler who is now darting all around the house all day getting into absolutely everything, while I am at the same time trying not to throw up.

My house is a disaster zone, verging on a federal emergency. The only reason it hasn't gotten to that point yet is because Dusey cleans stuff up every night when he gets home.

I could clean it, I suppose. I tend to put it off, though, dreading that darting pain in the sciatic nerve, dreading feeling so tired that I suspect I may pass out at any moment, dreading hunching over the toilet again when something unexpected sets off the queasiness. Smells, sights, sounds, movement, most anything can set it off. Diaper changes are the worst.

My giggly little boy was happily watching me throw up a few days ago. He ran off to his room, and brought back one of his board books, which he determinedly tried to throw into the toilet. Thank goodness I got it out of his hand right before he let go of it. A couple days later, I forgot to close the bathroom door, and as soon as I realized, I ran in there just in time to see him swirling the toilet water with my hairbrush in between splashing around with his hands. That is now the first thing I check every day once he is awake, is making sure that door is closed. Hopefully it will be a long time yet before he learns how to turn the doorknob. I still don't know what to do with my hairbrush, I've left it sitting in the sink ever since (I have another that I've been using, no worries).

We left the kiddo home with his grandparents this last weekend, while we took an overnight trip to Fresno for a friend's wedding. It was an enjoyable trip, and I didn't miss my babykins quite as much as I was expecting too (though I did miss him). I never want to sit on the back row of a small airplane again though. Somewhat turbulent landings on both flights made me into one queasy lady.

I watched some Food Network yesterday. One of their chefs was cooking an aged steak. So, of course, then I started craving steak. With buttermilk biscuits. So we went out to eat last night at Texas Roadhouse, where I got my steak (but no biscuits, sadly). It was fairly tasty, and I actually managed to keep it all down once we got home, with the help of a cool wet washcloth and a husband who took care of our child's bedtime routine all by himself.

I got a laptop. 17" MacBook Pro, old floor model that was getting replaced at Dusey's store, so we got a really, really good deal on it. I love it. I also got Dusey's old iPhone, since he got the new 3GS one. I have been playing around a bit with both of them, and am perfectly satisfied on the technology front for the foreseeable future.

I've been doing lots of reading lately, as reading and watching TV/movies are about the only things I seem to be able to do lately without feeling really sick. I've read a couple more DiscWorld books. I also reread Ender's Game, and for the first time read Speaker for the Dead, and Xenocide. Children of the Mind is next on my list, after which I'll probably read more DiscWorld books.

It is hard to believe that it is already almost the 4th of July, yet at the same time, it feels like time has been crawling, so slowly. I still have probably 4 to 10 more weeks of feeling sick. There is more than a month left before I get to go have "the ultrasound". I have to have four fillings, but can't get them until August. Hopefully July will go quickly. I want to set off fireworks. I don't recall if they're legal here or not.

No comments: