Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Fish fish fish fish fish

I think I'm giving up on Xanga. Apologies to my Xanga friends, but it has been giving me nothing but problems lately, and I infinitely prefer LJ and Blogger.

My baby boy has finally reached the 20lb. milestone. He is officially big enough for his new forward-facing carseat, if I can ever figure out how the darn thing works and get it installed in the car.

My little sister came to visit a couple of weeks ago. It was so much fun having her here. We went shopping, and went swimming, and watched Lost, and went swimming, and watched more Lost, and went swimming. We both got burned while swimming her last day here. My shoulders are still red (and peeling now too, hooray), two weeks later.

On Mother's Day, we hopped a plane to New York and went to visit my oldest sister for a week. New York is a pretty cool city, full of an incredible diversity of people and things to do. Seeing as we took our 1 year old with us, we kept our "things to do" list to a minimum: the Empire State Building, making a cake with my sister for my birthday, the Bronx Zoo, seeing Wicked, the Met (and the Cloisters), the Natural History Museum, Central Park, and Chinatown. Everything was fabulously fun. While there we ate: pizza, cheesecake, Indian, sushi, Chinese, bagels with cream cheese (and we tried a lox spread which I thought was pretty gross, I will have to try the sliced stuff sometime as I think it will taste much better)...I can't think of anything else we ate. Oh, and my birthday cake, which was delicious. Everything was extremely tasty (other than the lox spread). We got back on Saturday morning, and have been trying to catch up on sleep and lazing about ever since (well, except for Dusey who has been diligently working). Though I did go shopping yesterday, and made dinner, so I haven't been totally lazy.

Endless thanks to my sister for letting us stay with her, and use her bedroom, and help us figure out what to do and how to get there and entertaining us whenever we weren't out doing things. It was a wonderful trip, and I'm so glad we got to go.

While we were gone, the grass seed that we spread over the back yard to help the dead patches recover absolutely exploded. There are still a couple bare patches, but the yard looks infinitely better than it has for the past year that we've lived here. The grass is a beautiful bright springy green color, and it desperately needs mowing. Some of it is verging on six inches tall, I think. But it is entirely too hot to mow during most of the day now, with temperatures approaching if not broaching 100. So perhaps Potato Bug and I will go swimming today instead.

My garden is also doing quite well. We are getting delicious ripe tomatoes, and I think the eggplant is ready for picking, and the cilantro is huge and the other herbs are hanging on which is amazing, considering the heat. The pepper plants are still fairly small, I'm hoping they continue their slow and steady growth and give us some fruit before the true heat of summer arrives and burns them all up.

Some day I will stop being lazy and post some of my pictures from my new camera. I certainly have enough to pick from now. I suppose you will all have to remain in suspense until I finally get around to it.

On a final note, we got an Ergo Sport baby carrier, and I love it. It was perfect for carrying the kiddo around New York. Also, I adore my new pajamas. They are comfy and light and cute and if it wasn't killer hot here right now, I'd be tempted to wear them all the time.


Th. said...


In response to most of this post: Congratulations!

Marci said...

It was so much fun to have you come and visit. Thanks for making the trip out! I adore the pictures we have of Potato Bug and Hallie together! Lots of love to your family.