Wednesday, December 03, 2008

It's been awhile

Thanksgiving was really good. I made four pies (pumpkin, pecan, berry ribbon, and strawberry rhubarb) which all turned out great other than the crust on the pecan which got burned (it was also the only store bought crust). I also made Mother's Rolls, and cranberry jello salad. And I ate way too much food, but that's pretty normal for Thanksgiving.

Potato Bug has four teeth now. The second bout of teething (for the two top teeth) lasted a really long time and was really annoying, because he was extra cranky for a couple of weeks. After that, he got a cold, which I of course also caught. Dusey and I both got a little 24-hour mild stomach virus a couple of days ago (no way to tell if Potato Bug got it too), following which my cold returned. I'm ready to be done with the cranky baby / cranky mommy scenario for awhile.

I've been doing lots of crafting to get ready for Christmas. I will hopefully be sending out presents to a few people soon. It hasn't been going as quickly as I would like due to the aforementioned cranky baby.

It's finally nice outside.

Due to feeling quite ill today, my mother-in-law came and picked up Potato Bug and took him with her to her house. I have had several hours to myself, which has been nice. I've gotten several things done, and the house is a little cleaner, and I did some reading. I just finished reading The Prydain Chronicles, which I still thoroughly enjoy. A couple weeks ago I read the Twilight series to see what all the fuss was about. I thought it was alright. I can see why people enjoy it so much. I would probably describe it as a mix of Harry Potter and Titanic. Next up on my reading list is the first Discworld book. I think it will probably be awhile before I get around to it though, as I need to finish up Christmas presents, and who knows how long le bebe will continue his "Hold me NOW mommy" phase that he's in right now.

Oh, yes, I almost forgot. He is standing up now. He pulls himself up to a stand frequently throughout the day, and has finally figured out how to get back down to crawling without injuring himself (usually) by falling. He maintains his unearthly ability to figure out precisely what things we do not want him to play with, and goes straight for them whenever I'm not looking. I really need to find a good way to keep him from pulling on the cords plugged into the outlets. Currently, I tell him No, and explain we don't play with cords so we don't get hurt, and move him away to something else he CAN play with, but he is not getting the message. That could have something to do with the fact that he's still not quite 8 months old.

I think I'm the only child in my family now who does not have a guitar. I took a guitar class during college. I remember absolutely none of it. I didn't ever practice. This is probably why I do not have a guitar currently.

I'm busily playing Pirates on Facebook. I'm also quite fond of Scramble. If anybody ever wants to play against me, you'll probably win. :) I manage to get easily distracted in the middle of the games I try to play by the child who is in need of almost constant attention lately. Oh, the woes of mobility.

Also, he bites really hard now. Well, he bit hard before, but now he has incredibly sharp teeth to use also, which leave lovely indentations whenever he manages to bite me, which he luckily doesn't do terribly frequently, but still, it's highly unpleasant when it happens.

2 comments:

Marci said...

It's so fun to hear all about your life. I still haven't read the Twilight series, although I would like to after having seen the movie. Any good tips on playing the Pirate game?

K la said...

I love Facebook Scrabble! Alas, I can't find amyone who will play with me. I'll see if I can find you on facebook