Saturday, November 15, 2008

7 months


Potato Bug is 7 months old now, therefore it is time for an update!

He has 2 teeth now (he got the second one the day after he got his first one, and each tooth was discovered by one of his grandmas). They are very, very, very sharp, and he likes to bite things with them. He's eating baby food (Stage 2 now) at least twice a day, and has started eating Cheerios also occasionally, which he really likes. And every once in a while he gets a teething biscuit. He doesn't particularlylike green beans or peas, but likes all the other foods we've tried pretty well, and loves applesauce, bananas, and pears.

We got things organized finally so that he's in his own room, which I think we all like better. He's only waking up once a night now, which means both he and I are generally a bit happier and more energetic during the day. He likes to play with the toys in his crib when he wakes up in the mornings for a while, which I love as it gets me an extra half an hour of sleep. In his crib right now, he has Bearkie (half teddy bear, half blankie), the dragon his Aunt Jeanna made for him, a tiger stuffie, and a zebra that has magnets in it's hooves so we clip it on the side of the railing every night and he has fun pulling it off every morning.

His most very favorite toys are plastic spoons and bendy straws. He loves chewing on them, and sticking them in his mouth like a dog with a bone as he crawls around, and banging them on the floor when he's sitting up. He's finally really crawling properly, and is getting very good at transitioning from crawling to sitting and back, and sometimes kneeling when he wants to look inside his toybox. He's beginning to try and pull himself up sometimes, so we are going to have to move his crib mattress down to its lower setting really soon. He also really likes looking in mirrors, playing with boxes, and trying to eat cords and cables he finds on the floor (I haven't figured out how to babyproof them yet, so I just watch him very carefully while he's playing and when he gets close to them I go move him away again).

Potato Bug has decided that I am his most very favoritest person ever. He loves and adores playing with his daddy, and has lots of fun with his grandparents, but when he gets tired, cranky, fussy, or sad, he wants me and only me to hold him. In some ways it's really nice (I'm needed! He likes me!) and in other ways it's not (he's heavy! I'm tired!). He hates waking up anywhere that's not his room and not being able to see me.

I'm really enjoying him being able to entertain himself for longer periods of time now that he's mobile, as it lets me get a bit more done during the day. I'm cooking a little more often now, and the dishes are getting done more regularly, and I have my sights set on the laundry (one day I will get it ALL done and put away and there will be no laundry anywhere and it will be miraculous, even if it only lasts for a few hours). With the little bit of extra sleep and energy, my desire to craft has returned, though it's been extremely hampered by the fact that all my craft stuff is in PB's room, so I can't work on it while he's napping until I get it moved into our bedroom.

His favorite books at the moment are Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb, and My Many Colored Days, both of which are absolutely awesome books that I do not mind at all reading over and over and over. He still likes most of his board books too, and I think he will really enjoy the ones he's getting for Christmas. He always loves storytime unless he's really ridiculously over-tired.

He still has the little red mark on his forehead (which I am assured by many different people will eventually disappear), and now he has a little hard lump/bump on his leg from one of his vaccination shots, which I am hoping will eventually go away (it's been over a month). I have not been a good mommy at giving him his medicine every day to prevent UTI's, but we've been blessed and he hasn't gotten any despite the lack of medicine. I am going to try a different flavor next time I get a refill and maybe he won't spit it out immediately and then I will be much more likely to give it to him (it stains everything highlighter yellow so it gets really frustrating when he just spits it out everywhere).

Potato Bug talks a lot while he's playing, and particularly enjoys squealing with delight (which sometimes sounds like screaming), and blowing bubbles with his tongue. He's very, very good at curling his tongue, and will curl the tip of it up against his top lip to make an "m" sound and say "mamamamama" when he's tired. He likes watching people clap their hands and say "Yay!", and he likes The Itsy Bitsy Spider song with its actions, so I think he would really like learning some baby signs and am thinking of asking for some Signing Time DVDs for Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

es un niƱo precioso.enhorabuena