Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A now sleeps solely on his tummy. He rolls over as soon as I put him down on his back, if he's already asleep. Otherwise, he cries until he manages to calm down enough to roll over and get his arm out from underneath himself and fall asleep. He's been doing better at falling asleep on his own at night (partially I think because we started putting him to bed at 7:30, which is when he starts getting quite fussy at night and I figured it was because he was tired). Naps are still a struggle. He gets tired every morning at about 9 so I try to put him down, but on the mornings when he does fall asleep, he only stays asleep for around 30 minutes and then wakes back up. He usually takes a longer afternoon nap, and a couple really short naps after nursing throughout the day. Slow progress is still progress though.

Unfortunately, I think he's got a tooth coming in now. He woke up 4 times last night, refused to nap this morning, and has been wanting to chew hard on everything and anything. And he's got a lump in his gums on the top which I figure is the tooth. And he's been rather fussy and demanding of my attention and has refused to entertain himself by rolling over or kicking or sitting in his bouncy chair or chewing on his keys or anything at all for more than 5 minutes at a time.

In short, I am tired. Very, very, very tired.

I am also feeling today like I am not doing such a great job. I have not been exercising because I'm constantly exhausted and sore just from holding the kiddo all day long. We don't go on long walks together because it's too hot outside all the time. I don't take him to any playgroups. When I do manage to get him to nap, I'm usually so tired myself that I don't do laundry, or dishes, or cook, or craft, or anything.

I am very much looking forward to the day when I am finally successful at getting him on a regular, scheduled routine, with good long naps, and not waking me up at least three times every single night. I suspect I will be much more cheerful and productive once I'm getting vaguely close to enough sleep again. He was doing really well and only waking up once or twice a night, but then we went on vacation, in a different time zone, and then I started trying to sleep train him, and he learned to roll over, and he's trying so hard to learn to sit by himself, and is getting pretty good at scooting himself forward with his face planted in his blanket, and he's teething, and learning to eat from a spoon. I guess there's just simply entirely too much going on in his little life for him to be a really good sleeper right now.

It has been a long, long day. I almost cried earlier when I looked at the clock and it was only 12:30. It's 2:30 now, though it feels more like 6pm to me.

I really don't do well when I don't get enough sleep. I fall apart. Can somebody else just take care of the rest of life for me for awhile, please? I need a nap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could help, it is so hard trying to take care of a baby and a home and be so very tired.
Give yourself a break, don't be so hard on yourself you are doing the best that you can and that is good enough. Cindy