Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rolling, rolling, rolling

Last night went much better than the night before. A fell asleep after only a couple hours of crying, without me picking him up (though I did have to go over and rub his belly and make shushing noises to get him from the low moan phase into the asleep phase). He woke up once at about midnight to eat, then woke up again at 3:30 due to an extremely loud thunderstorm that was very close by. I understand the phrase "roll of thunder" now, as I could hear the waves of crashing sound move over my house, from north to south, roaring over and over after each brilliant flash of light through the windows. I think A didn't quite know what to do with all the noise, as when I got up to get him, I discovered he'd wiggled and rolled himself into the corner/side of his crib where he was kicking and grabbing the bars. I calmed him back down and put him back in his crib, laying him down on his back as always, when he promptly surprised me by rolling immediately onto his side. He wiggled around a bit until he got comfy, with his arms and head to the side, and his tummy against his crib, bum facing up, a half-twist position. And then he was asleep.

I guess he figured out during the night that he doesn't like sleeping on his back, but sleeping on his side and/or tummy is fine (much like me). And he figured out how to get himself there. He's been rolling onto his side for weeks now without help, but now has finally figured out how to make it all the way onto his tummy by himself on a regular basis. Way to go, A! Now you just need to figure out how to untrap your arm from under your torso after you've rolled, and then how to roll back onto your back, and you'll have it made, little guy.

Naps yesterday went fairly well also. Here's hoping today will go even better.

No comments: