Sunday, May 13, 2007

When I woke up yesterday, I was expecting it to be a horrible, no good, very bad day. But, due to the efforts of my loving husband, and some friends showing up unexpectedly, it turned out to be a very nice birthday. Veng convinced me (after sneaking out of the house, running to the store, coming back and ringing the doorbell with roses in his hand when I didn't even know he had left) that we should still have the party we'd been planning since Monday, even though only one person had said they *might* be able to come. So I made a chocolate sheet cake, and some salads, and we borrowed my in-laws barbeque, and cleaned the whole house, and got everything set up. (Veng surprised me about halfway through the cooking and cleaning process with a new t-shirt.)

So, shortly after 6:30, Veng's parents arrived. A few minutes later, his grandparents and aunt came (his mom had invited them and I had no idea they were coming, so it was a nice surprise). Since there were actually guests there, we went ahead and got started with barbequing (everybody brought their own meat) and eating. When it looked like everybody was finishing up, I got out the cookies and cake, and started slicing the cake, only to have everybody declare that they had to sing to me. We had no birthday candles, so Veng got out a two-wicked scented candle and lit it. They sang to me, I blew out the candle, and we had dessert. Just as we were finishing, the doorbell rang, and two of our friends came in with another friend of theirs (one of the three was the one who'd said he *might* come). They came in and got started cooking their food and eating while I opened presents from Veng's family (yay, presents!). By the time they got to dessert, the doorbell rang again with another friend who brought someone with him as well. A few minutes later, one additional person showed up. So, it turned into a pretty lively party (after Veng's extended family left, we spent the rest of the evening playing Wii and our DSes and then Guitar Hero and Karaoke Revolution). Everybody finally left and we got to bed at about 1:30 this morning, after which I made poor Veng stay up and talk to me for about another hour.

We're both very tired today, but I'm quite satisfied with how yesterday went. It was not at all a no good, horrible, very bad day, which was very nice.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!

No comments: