Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My grandma's doing a lot better today. All that's left, really, is to wait for the lab results.

Colds are running amuck in our house (curse those small cold-infested children at the schools!) which has actually been not too bad as we haven't been getting jobs this week anyway (it being the last week of school and all, I suppose the teachers feel they ought to be there, getting their grades turned in and everything). I do have a job for half of Thursday, substituting an elementary art class that I've substituted before. I've been having nightmares about it though, and so remain conflicted over whether I should go (I should, it's an extra $45, and it's getting awfully close to the point in time where we will be broke all summer). Veng may make a little extra money in the coming months fixing people's computers. I have been contemplating making things and attempting to sell them (having never sold things before other than one box of girl scout cookies, I'm not really sure how to go about selling things, especially things that I myself have made). The main problems, really, with me making and selling things are a) packaging and shipping in such a way as to ensure safe arrival, and b) pricing. What I think my crafts and art are worth may not actually be realistic (but the price would need to be high enough to pay for the costs of materials and shipping, but would anybody pay that much for anything I've made, plus a little extra for profit?). So, we'll see if that turns out or not.

On Friday, we get to make a one-night trip to Las Vegas with Veng's parents, to see Collective Soul in concert (it will be the third concert I have attended in my life). I highly doubt it will prove to be anything other than fun and cool and an entertaining end to the school year. Speaking of school years, I've been wondering lately if there are basic carpentry classes available for taking anytime in the next few years of my life. Not to mention further painting and sculpture classes. I've decided, in terms of sculpture, that there are three things left that I really want to learn how to do: carving, welding, and casting. Yes, I know, those are the basics of almost all sculpture, and I don't know how to do them yet. For painting, I really ought to take a class that deals with color theory sometime. I'd also like to learn how to do watercolors. As for the carpentry, I've always thought it would be cool to be able to make my own furniture (I had this cool idea for a baby bassinet the other day, to be shaped like a boat, with mechanisms allowing it to rock as if it's floating on some waves, but I have no idea where to even start with something like that, it might require a little bit of engineering as well as carpentry, and no, designing a baby bassinet in my head does not mean I'm pregnant). Where do sculptors get their large blocks of wood from anyway? Do they go out and just, I don't know, buy a large log and proceed from there? I have no idea.

I have been having bizarre dreams again lately. Last night each individual's life was controlled by these little android guys who would switch out blocks for different things (new outfit? Switch a few blocks. Want to go somewhere different? Switch a few blocks and you're there). The blocks seemed to be more like squares than blocks, very two dimensional, yet somehow they changed everything. Different androids (they were very short little impish beings with distinct personalities which I recall questioning as they were, in fact, androids, which would take quite a feat of programming) had different responsibilities, one for wardrobe, one for location, etc. I don't remember much else about the dream anymore.

I had a different dream a few nights ago which I still recall bits of quite well though. I'd really like to sketch it out sometime, as I think it would make for a very interesting picture. It started off with me and some friends roaming through a maze of industrial hallways (curvy, dark, dingy, cracks and crevices and nooks and crannies and little spots that led nowhere in particular). The hallways (where they hallways, or were they just walkways?) were around, about, and on top of a volcano. An industrial chocolate and cake-producing volcano. There were liquid chocolate vents which had been piped, rerouted, and shot out into chocolate pools. Around the as-yet unpiped vents (and possibly around the pools as well), thick spongy foam would form, which was then harvested (and later eaten, as it was, in fact, cake of the most delicious light and fluffy type). Not all the cake was chocolate. There was also yellow cake that formed, and vanilla pudding came out at a few spots.

My friends and I were trying to form a triple-layer, spherical dessert with some chocolate cake, yellow cake, and vanilla pudding. It would have been a hit had we been able to get it to stick together in a spherical form. We were also trying to avoid capture from the large wolves that ran the place (the wolves looked oddly similar to Link's wolf form in Twilight Princess). The wolves were more werewolves than wild wolves; if they bit you, you also became a wolf. Yet they could be taken down. If you tackled the wolf from the back, and held onto it so that it couldn't bite you, and continued to hold it for a certain length of time, it would turn back into a human.

The wolves couldn't run the place on their own, though (and this is the part that leads me to the part which I'd dearly like to draw). They had a castle on the craggy summit of the mountain, always dark and stormy outside, lots of jutting rock and stone, lightning crashes, and a very draculan ominous feel to it all. Arrayed on the various levels of jutting rock, around, outside, and inside the castle, the wolves had enslaved large white bunny rabbits. The rabbits had large metal collars around their necks, with heavy chains leading off to somewhere, to keep them enslaved. They had also been hypnotized, so that they would beat in unison on their bongo/congo drums. It was the rhythmic beating by the bunnies on the drums which made the volcano produce its delicious desserts, you see, and so the wolves prowled around the many levels and layers of bunnies and drums, to make sure all ran smoothly. (This ends the part which I'd dearly like to draw.)

While trying to hide from a pack of wolves (and thus abandoning my attempts at dessert creation), I ran into a small room, where I somehow (I think) freed a baby bunny from a few wolves that had been trying to capture, enslave, and hypnotize it as another worker. The baby bunny (oh so white and fluffy), then managed to go and un-hypnotize several adult slave bunnies, and helped break them free of their chains and shackles, and thus began the bunny revolution, large gangs of bunnies taking on individual wolves to free their kind and stop the cruelty and start a more mechanized running of the factory I imagine. I must only imagine what their goals were, as shortly after the rabbit revolution began, I woke up.

Definitely one of the more interesting dreams I've had lately (though I've had several other quite bizarre ones). Recounting all that delicious dessert creation has made me very hungry, so I'm off to consume an instant breakfast drink and probably water the garden (the horribly hot Arizona sun has been threatening to kill all my more tender plants off, though I don't think the tomatoes or cucumber plants will suffer much). Anybody have any ideas what I can do with massive amounts of tomatoes and cucumbers in a few weeks when they're all finally ripe? All the tomatoes I planted this year are Roma tomatoes, and I have decided that it's very important that I plant several different kinds of tomatoes next year (preferrably the kinds that produce fruit all summer long rather than one large crop all at once like my Romas). Six tomato plants is too many for two people. Maybe I'll do three next year, each one a different kind.

1 comment:

Th. said...

.

Can I have some magic blocks too?