Monday, April 02, 2007

Expectations

I found out yesterday that my brother and his wife are expecting their first child. I also found out that he got a full tuition scholarship for two years of grad school, so with that and the child issue my family is all very excited for them, as I'm sure they are also very excited for themselves. I am happy for them, those are cool things to have happen. I have begun thinking, however, about the use of the word "expecting" when someone is pregnant. Yes, they are expecting that, in about seven or eight months, a cute new little baby will pop out and their family will number three. But I am also expecting that I will someday have kids, yet nobody would say I'm currently expecting because I'm not pregnant at the moment. I still have a lot of expectations though. It's interesting to think about the difference between expectations and hopes/dreams. Sometimes they can be the same thing, but often they aren't.

I think that's about it for currently.

No comments: