Thursday, September 14, 2006

Strange imaginings

It's been a weird couple of days. Not because anything weird has been happening in my life, really, it's more what's been happening while I've been asleep. Three nights ago, I had a bizarre dream. It was kind of like Jumanji. A group of close friends (strangely, nobody that I actually know in real life) and I went for a sleepover at this large eccentric house. And the house had weird things built into it to happen if you did certain stuff, which we managed to do. So, we basically pulled the trigger, and then all these 'trials' started appearing. The first, if I remember right, was a large group of rainbow-pastel-colored soot gremlins (like the ones in My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away), where if you smashed them, all the little pieces that fell down turned into more and more of them, and they threatened to smother us. So we ran away, and escaped them pretty easily, but parts of the house were off-limits now because that's where they were. Then, there was a group of wild dogs that wanted to eat us. I think we lost a member to them. The rest of us locked ourselves into this large room. We discussed things, and decided that the small long-haired bouncy lap-dog that somebody had brought with them had a good chance of fighting the wild dogs (those little things can be ferocious when it comes to defending their territory). So we opened the door, and pushed the little dog out, and it ran away yipping, and we waited a few minutes, and then we went outside (logically, in the dream, the dogs and soot gremlins would remain confined to the house because that's where they had appeared).

Then the next thing showed up. It was a very large swarm of bees. One of the girls that was with us was allergic to bees, and the rest of us didn't really want to get stung, so we hid from them in the pool (because, in the dream, bees didn't like pool water). Unfortunately, it was a small pool, a very, very small pool, and with all of us in there, the water level was not quite high enough to cover us completely. So one of the girls ran out and grabbed one of those lawn sprinklers that attaches to a hose and has a line of holes in it that generally waves back and forth, but you can set some of them to stay at one angle, and she set it so it was going over the pool to help keep the bees away. So we hid in there, managing to hold our breath for ridiculously long amounts of time. The bees finally started dispersing, and that's when the aliens showed up.

The aliens looked like humans, but we knew they were aliens. The first one we saw, moved the sprinkler, exposing random bits of us not covered by the water to the bees. We thought this was cruel, since there was still the girl that was allergic to the bees. But the aliens didn't seem any worse than particularly vicious people, so we figured they wouldn't be any harder to deal with than the rest of the stuff that had happened. Until they let loose the killer monkeys. The monkeys were varying sizes, some medium-sized, and some very small. I don't recall that they had tails, so they were probably technically some other sort of primate, but hey, it was my dream, and in the dream they were labelled as monkeys. They were all varying shades of gray and black and white, and they all had very very long claws on each of their fingers (like Totoro). Unlike Totoro, however, these monkeys' greatest desire seemed to be to hop on your shoulder, and poke you slightly in the neck with one of their claws, which would then cause you to die mostly instantly. A couple monkeys took down a couple of my comrades, and a swarm of tiny monkeys took down another. The rest of the group of us started scattering trying to get away from the monkeys, and the aliens started hunting them down. I ran into the house, into a room with some of the remaining of the original group, and we started having a meeting. Then, half of my 'friends' revealed themselves as actually being aliens who had made themselves look just like us so they could blend into human society until they had replaced enough people that they could take over. So then they really started killing everybody (very bloodless, everybody just instantly keeled over when they died).

One of the aliens, however, had been masquerading as one of my friends the entire time, and had heard my tale of tragic woe about an old jerk of a boyfriend that I'd had (Vengance didn't exist in this dream), and it reminded her of a bad relationship she'd been in, and so she took pity on me and decided to help me escape the other aliens. So she handed me this pouch and helped me get out of the room. I ran down the halls and opened the pouch at the same time, and inside I saw a series of small rolled-up paper notes. I pulled out the first one, and it told me to grab a couple of bags of ice from the freezer, so I ran through the kitchen and grabbed all the ice. The second note told me about a specific barrel that I could hide in, so I found the barrel, and climbed in, and put the ice around me, and covered myself up with pillows so the aliens that were in hot pursuit couldn't see me through the top of the barrel. The ice served the purpose of hiding me from the aliens' heat-seeking goggles or whatever that they had.

I was just starting to read the third note while in the barrel, thinking about how writing me a series of little detailed rolled-up notes was possibly the stupidest way of helping me escape that I could think of, and about how long it was taking to unroll and read each note, when the alarm went off, and I woke up.

I only stayed awake long enough to wish Veng goodbye as he was off to work, and then I went back to sleep for awhile (he leaves really, really early on Tuesdays and Thursdays). Once asleep, I had another dream. In this dream I was a student at a magical university. Except there was only one teacher, and about six other students when I got there. The professor led all of us students to the mall, where we were going to pick up the other half of the student body, which consisted of aliens (their drop-off point from their ship was the mall, apparently). So, we got there, and started approaching the drop-off/pick-up point, when one of the human students pointed out that, along with the normal nice aliens, there were two aliens of the vicious killing variety standing there in the group that was waiting for us. Several of us then chided the professor on not having more security in a situation like this. And then the vicious killer aliens got hungry all of a sudden or something, and used their ridiculously powerful legs to jump up really high, and then used their long claws to kill their fellow alien-students when they came back down. One of the killer aliens was extremely tall and skinny, and the other was normal-sized. The normal-sized one was the meaner of the two. All of the aliens looked like normal humans (except for the claws on the two killer aliens, and the fact that one of them was ridiculously tall). The killer aliens also started killing random mall-folk. So the professor and the human students all made a break for the elevator, thinking that if the killer aliens followed us, the thick metal elevator doors would stop them before they could kill us. The elevator had one central room with large wide sliding doors, and most of the human students ran for that. But the elevator also had at least two small side-rooms attached to the central room, and the side rooms had their own small skinny doors. The professor and I and one of the other students ran into one of these, and hit the door closed button (because with three people, the small elevator room was very full), and hoped that the other students had managed to get the main elevator doors closed before the killer aliens caught up to them.

The next scene in the dream, we were all back in the dormitory/school. The professor was chiding the killer aliens, and telling them how they couldn't just go around killing people randomly here on Earth, and so on and so forth. As he was talking, he led us through the twisty hallway of the dingy dormitory, and dropped each of the human students off at their rooms (all the human students had made it, and the two killer aliens were there, but none of the other aliens had survived, which was just as well, because there weren't enough rooms for them). He dropped the killer aliens off at their rooms, too. He led me to my room last (it was at the end of the hall). It was incredibly small, with just enough room inside for a cot and a foot or two of space between the door and the cot (just enough space for the door to open into the room). It was also incredibly dingy and dirty. Once inside, I pushed the cot against the door, hoping it would help keep the killer aliens out if they decided to go on a rampage during the night, and set about trying to figure out how the locks on my door worked. Someone pushed against the door, which slid the cot back a few inches across the floor, and I was relieved to see a human hand poke through the crack. It was the professor, and he showed me how the main door lock was supposed to work. He was as surprised and frustrated as I was that it wouldn't catch properly because the door didn't hang straight. While he was trying to fiddle with it (he had been going around showing each of the human students how to lock their doors so we could be safe during the night while he was asleep), I noticed that there was a key-hole in the doorframe that was normally covered up by the closed door. I happened to have a key that was supposed to go to one of the locks in the door (but that lock, too, had been broken when I tried it). So I took the key, and put it in the keyhole in the doorframe, and turned it, and a tiny door opened up, showing a long dark flight of stairs. This surprised both the professor and I, and I asked him if I could hide down there for the night since my door lock didn't work. He agreed that it was probably the safest place for me. So, I went through the door (which magically was big enough for me to fit through just long enough for me to fit through it, after which it was once again the width of the door frame) and started down the stairs. And then I woke up again.

So, two exceedingly odd dreams. One of the oddest things about them to me, though, was how extremely dispassionate they both were. Nobody's death really mattered in either of them. The goal was to stay alive myself, and as long as I was accomplishing that, nothing else really mattered. It was if I knew, throughout both dreams, that none of it was real at all, and so it didn't matter if these dream-people died, because they didn't really exist.

The night after that I was apparently stressed about making sure Veng got up on time for class, and so woke up at 2 in the morning, convinced that it was 7:30 and we had slept through the alarm and he needed to wake up. It was too dark for me to see my watch, so I woke him up and asked him what time it was, and was rather surprised to be told it was 2 AM. So we both went back to sleep. I managed to wake up approximately once every hour for the rest of the night, though I didn't wake Veng up again, but rather dug my clock out from under the pile of clothes on my side of the bed to look at the time.

Last night, I determined that I was going to wake up a little earlier than Veng this morning so that I could make him a decent lunch before he went to work. So I snagged his alarm, and reset it for half-an-hour earlier than it was set for, and put it on my side of the bed, so that when it went off, I could reset it back to its later time so he wouldn't have to get up early. Then, starting at one in the morning, I managed to wake up every hour, convinced it was time to get up, until I looked at the clock and verified that there were still several hours to go. Finally, after one of my clock checkings, Veng woke up a bit and asked me what time it was. I told him, and he shot out of bed because he was supposed to be at work in 20 minutes. The alarm had been set an hour too late when I had grabbed it, and I had assumed that it was set for the right time and he had to be to work after that time, and I managed to be thoroughly wrong on both counts. So I didn't get to make him the lunch I had planned out after all, and I decided I wasn't going to be able to fall back asleep, so here I am, posting on my blog before 7 in the morning.

With all this weird stuff going on at night, it's really no surprise to me that I have been so tired lately when awake. I also attribute my tiredness to the cold/allergies I seem to be suffering from, and the stress I've been under with work and classes and being way behind on house-work and not having enough food to eat, and having extremely poor posture during my long classes each night (they have stools to sit on, which means I'm hunching over all during class while working on my projects). The bad posture and the stress make my shoulders hurt, which makes it hard for me to find a comfortable position to sleep in, which contributes even more to not sleeping well, which makes me more tired the next day. It's a vicious little circle. I'm glad tomorrow's Friday. The weekend will be very busy catching up on housework, and I'm going to try implementing a plan to cook meals for the whole week ahead of time so that we have non-instant-frozen-food to eat again, but hopefully getting all of that done will relieve some of my stress for next week. With all of the stress, and the poor sleep, and the not having sufficient time for cooking and cleaning, it's been hard to keep myself from getting pretty depressed. Which has been making me even more stressed, because I certainly don't want to fall into a constant depression again. I need to get a good schedule worked out for getting everything done, and then it should all work out pretty much perfectly.

Congratulations if you've made it to the bottom of this extremely long post.

No comments: