Saturday, August 05, 2006

High time for another post.

Note to myself: August 2nd.

Notes to the general public:

I am getting better at Guitar Hero. I actually beat Mike's scores on a couple of songs on Easy and Medium. My fingers are now sore.

Been melancholy some more, on and off. I want it to rain again, I love it when it rains. Especially when there's lightning.

I rode my bike to the store yesterday and almost died on the way back. It's all uphill, and despite having used my inhaler, I quickly found myself out of breath, and in need of a drink. I felt kind of dizzy once I finally got back, so went inside, and sat down, and drank some Powerade. Then I almost threw up, but didn't. So I didn't move for awhile.

I made curry for the first time this past week. It turned out pretty good, but I need some different recipes to try. I also need to try making chutney sometime.

Speaking of cooking, I made some uber-tasty chicken rice soup for dinner yesterday. It has leeks in it. I've never cooked with leeks before. They don't seem to taste like much, but made the soup very filling. Perhaps I'll use them more often. It was entertaining when shopping though, trying to figure out exactly which vegetables were the leeks, since the signs above the piles didn't line up exactly right with the piles, and the descriptions were vague at best. Finally some lady overheard me and Veng discussing our lack of knowledge as to whether the vegetables I was holding (that I thought were the leeks) were in fact leeks or not. I said something along the lines of "The recipe says to just use the white part. I just don't know what it is!" The lady made a slightly disgusted face, and said "They're leeks" and stalked off. So then we got them, finally being assured that they were, in fact, leeks. Thank you, mystery lady! I apologize to you that my mother never cooked with leeks and therefore I didn't know what they were for sure. I knew which ones were Bak-choy, at least.

We bought an air-conditioner today for $30 from the weekly Wymount yard-sale. Hopefully it works out alright. Need to get some plexi-glass from the hardware store to fill the rest of the window.

Last weekend was great, after my melancholic Friday-day, Veng came home, we had people over, and had a lovely fun party which I thoroughly enjoyed. Then we went to see Mission Impossible 3, which was okay. I was way too sleepy to pay much attention. That's what happens when I try to watch movies after midnight. We did stuff on Saturday, too, but I can't remember what, other than that it was also fun. Oh, yes, we went over and had a dinner/supper/lunch shish-kabob party with some of Veng's ARMA friends. Tasty food, all around. And we watched some of Firefly over there, which we had started watching Friday night with other people. Anyways, it was a good day. Sunday, we went up to Salt Lake for Veng's mission president's homecoming talk at church. They went way over, but the talks were good, and the music was good. We went over to my house afterwards, and ate, then went over to the mission president's house, and ate and talked and I found out about maybe a possible job opening, and then we went back over to my house and ate some more. I did not find my bike lock. I did find, however, that my parents were willing to let me take all the books they had that I wanted. I, of course, wanted most of the fiction that was left in the shelves (mostly children's and young adult fiction). Veng obliged me and let me bring all those lovely beautiful books that I love so very much and have fond memories of reading repeatedly while growing up, yes, he let me bring them all home.

On Monday, I was faced with the task of finding somewhere to put all those books. So I went to Target, and used a gift-card, and discovered that CD shelf units looked just about the right size for paperbacks, so bought one for cheap with some other stuff. Then I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and used a giftcard, and a coupon, and bought some more stuff, like a light-blue ottoman thingy that could hold even more books inside ($16! Great deal!). Then I came home and put all the books away, and now they are put away and look great (and the old bookshelf some of them were on is now being used for renegade Nintendo stuff that was taking up floor space before). So many books to re-read! I'm ecstatic! Classics like Bubble and Squeak, Second-hand Magic, The Chronicles of Narnia, several Madeleine L'Engle books, several horse books (I loved those when I was younger), Maniac MacGee, and many other splendiferous books. Looking over them all reminded me of Amelia Bedilia, and so when I saw it at the yard sale today, Veng was very kind and let me buy it (along with the Mouse and the Motorcycle). He was completely unfamiliar with Amelia Badelia (no idea how to spell it, frankly), and so I read them out-loud to him when we got home today. It was great.

So many books! Veng keeps telling me I'm like a little girl every time I look at them and start giggling because I'm remembering a funny part of one of them. I can't help it, it makes me incredibly happy to have all these precious pieces of my childhood within easy reach, and it makes me even happier knowing that I'll have them to read to my kids so they can also enjoy all those wonderful worlds. One of these days, I'll have to catalogue all the books I own (we own, I guess). In the meantime, I have to figure out a sneaky way of convincing Veng that I still really do need more books, that the library doesn't have all the ones I want, and that it's entirely worth it to own them. I don' know if it'll work or not, he seems to think we have quite enough books already (more than enough if you ask him, but, well...he's nice and lets me keep them, and hopefully will let me get some more eventually as he sees how very, very much I love them). Books, books, books. I am a happy girl when I think of them.

I'm almost done re-reading book 9 of The Wheel of Time series. So, we'll have plenty of time to find the next two to purchase (it's Veng's collection, so I don't think he'll mind completing the series). And then I can read those as well. And all those other lovely wonderful books. And others I haven't read yet from the library. (If you know of a wonderful book that you think I should read, I will happily accept gifts of books for any and all presents you may wish to give me in the future (though music is really good too, and so are movies, but books have a higher re-use value for me than movies usually)).

I knew I wouldn't be able to talk about anything else once I started talking about all those books. So, until next time, I leave you with these thoughts. Books. Yay!

1 comment:

Thirdmango said...

I played guitar hero for the first time this week, it was actually a lot more fun then I thought it would be, I'm really quite good except for the fact that I have very little dexterity in my pinky finger, and so it hurt using it.